Bonsai Tree: 1

So I started to plan out my VR experience for Virtual Spaces and have decided to explore the art of Bonsai. Creating a miniature tree that the users will be able to manipulate whilst learning about the tools and techniques used in creating living art. I could also use it as a way to teach the history of bonsai as it moved from china to japan to all across the world and how it became synonyms with zen Buddhism. possibly also touching on famous individuals like Makoto Azuma, Yuji Yoshimura, Kunio Kobayashi, Akanori Aiba.

Bonsai is seemed to be quite a rabbit hole of complexity where creating a truly fatal reaeration of bonsai is seemingly infeasible as it’s important to remember that a tree is a living thing and they are incredibly complex. So I have to watch out for feature creep as the idealistic vision I might have for a VR bonsai simulation won’t be achievable in the few months I have for the project aspectual considering this will be my first dive into unity interactions and scripting. So I have listed out mechanics and features I think would be cool to have and listed them in order of importance and relevance. Some features like being able to see the tree grow will prove to be incredibly challenging for me but we love the challenge.

• Branch Bending
  • Branch Wire
  • Branch clippers
  • leaf sheers
  • Temperature
  • Real-time growing
  • Seasonal changes
  • Dead bark
  • customer pots
  • Root rake
  • Root cutting
  • Decoration
  • History and meditation lessons (getting over it with Bennett Foddy style)
  • Plant grafting