Studio Ghibli

Lately, I have been on a bit of a binge having re-watched some of Hayao Miyazaki’s Films. I’ve taken great interest in his films use of movement and detail, particularly in their environments. I went through movies like Princess Mononoke, when the wind rises, Porco Rosso and cut together moments of motion in its environment. this could be grass blowing in the wind, fire, water and other environments.

I had a go at following a couple tutorials to come up with some procedural grass texture using noise. this prevented a tiling effect but as from above and at a distance as the grass strands become less defined the texture of the noise becomes more defined. After watching a procedural rock texture tutorial I took its use of volanoid node that creates a more painterly pattern than the blurry noise did before it.

wave node adds wind effect by animating its phase offset. This is getting me closer to the look I am aiming to create. now to build it in unity or unreal and play around with game engine optimisation. Implementing view port culling and angle culling as well as an un-culling horizon and edge detection in order to maintain the grasses silhouettes on the horison